Helena Rides Around California


For over a year now I've had a motorcycle. A Yamaha FZ-07 (700cc) motorcycle, to be precise. But believe it or not, I hadn't actually done a proper motorcycle tour until just recently. In the beginning, I was busy with work, and then when work was no longer a barrier, I went abroad for what turned out to be three months! You can read more about that adventure here

I vowed that when I returned to the States I would organize a little trip, no matter if it was already November and winter was approaching. I stuck with my original plan which I'd come up with months prior, and decided to venture to Northern California, meet up with one of my best friends, and then ride back in a round-about manner.

The route? See the map below: 


I did the first half (Newbury Park to Shasta) in two days, which roughly translated to one day of about 4.5 hours of riding along the coast and another day of about 8 hours cutting inland and Northward (with a stop in San Jose to visit my sister and her family). Needless to say that second day was pretty long, but still manageable and fun. Even got to ride through a bit of soft rain.

Here's a few pictures, particularly from the coastal section:



Riding and camping along the Big Sur coast was a blast. But it wouldn't be complete without a little campfire to sit cozily by:


In the Shasta area, I met up with Jo. We camped around the Castle Crags area, which was both beautiful and extremely frigid. Let's just say I tested the limit of my 18F sleeping bag!

We camped two nights together and went on a few hikes with her very energetic dog leaping every which way, probably running more than two or even three times as much as we were hiking!


Then she returned up to Bend, Oregon, and I continued my own journey. Cutting across California through the Shasta-Trinity National Forest was the most beautiful part of the entire ride. Breathtaking views every which way! 

It was also the coldest.


This leg meant two more nights of camping, with a stop in my favorite town along the US Route 395: Bishop. I always have a coffee and get at least one book from the best cafe/bookshop in town: Pupfish Cafe/ Spellbinder Books

The last day went by fast and the warm dessert climate caught me by surprise after days of freezing temps. 

Ultimately, I love being able to travel on a motorcycle. It's exhilarating, freeing, and breathtaking. You get to take in the views in ways that you can't when driving in a car. You also get to smell and hear much more. 

You can watch a video of some GoPro footage here:





Comments

Popular Posts