on health, happiness, and healing

I've always been pretty conscientious about my health and wellbeing, probably due largely to how I was raised by my own mother. I've cared about the things I put in (and on) my body, and I've always understood that it's important to stay active not only to maintain a certain fitness level but also to keep the body functioning properly. Unlike many college students, I'm pretty adamant about getting enough sleep (even if I don't always get it). And over the course of a couple of years I've taken consecutive steps from omnivore to pescatarian to vegetarian to vegan for personal and environmental health. I don't think there's one clear path that is the "best" or "healthiest" but I know that eating food full of pesticides and antibiotics, not to mention additives such as sugar and chemicals I can't even pronounce, is not the way to go for ourselves and for the planet.

Perhaps as a result of my conscientiousness, however, I'm easily self conscious of my choices, or worse, of my appearance. I criticize myself when I don't work out, or when I eat an entire bar of chocolate because... well, because I was craving it (at least it was vegan, right?). Similarly, I find myself easily frustrated at other people who don't seem to understand that their own lifestyles are making them sick and unhealthy. And I get jealous of people who do seem to have it all under control - who can resist their cravings, and who have a regular workout routine that keeps them fit and in shape.

But my criticism isn't going to help anyone, is it?

I don't know if it's taken reading The Book of Joy to realize this, or if it's taken the jolt of being on my own and far away from Princeton to give me the time and space necessary to be deeply introspective. I do know that the stress of the Princeton environment does my body and my mind no good. And I know that over a year ago, I was in an unhealthy relationship where I was often angry at my partner for having the motivation to work out, and angry at myself for being angry at him and for not getting my ass off the couch to do the same. It seems like a vicious cycle, doesn't it?

You see, this isn't just a travel blog. It's not even a mom blog, contrary to what my friends initially believed (after all, I'm not even a mom, so I'm not sure the term was ever appropriate). It's just a journal made public. A journal through which I hope to chronicle some of the things that happen to me along the way; and maybe, just maybe, it will spark some conversation from time to time.

I don't know if Princeton is unique in its ability to smother its students and faculty with a blanket of stress and expectations that are too high to be met without some serious sacrifices (of course, which things you choose to sacrifice more than others are up to you: sleep, work, friends, cooking, sports, clubs, etc., etc.). I shouldn't blame everything on the institution, and yet, time and time again, friends and other students voice complaints over lack of time, stress, and other mental strains like depression and anxiety. When the community is bound so closely together, these things seem to become contagious. At the very least, it becomes a competition to see who's gotten the least amount of sleep that week, or who manages to balance 5 or 6 classes plus a social life plus athletics.

For example, I know that I need to work out and eat healthy. But if I'm particularly stressed by academics, I suddenly no longer have enough bandwidth left to make the right choices, and will end up choosing the easier option to minimize the amount of thinking I have to do. And then immediately afterwards I'll get mad at myself instead of being compassionate as maybe I should have been. When I'm not at Princeton, I suddenly find myself with way more thinking power than I know what to do with, and for the most part that turns out to be a good thing. I tend to eat better more consistently, and I will work out more, even if only because of the fact that I have more time to kill. And as a result, I feel happier.

The point is... no, I don't know what the point is.

I don't know if I'm ready for the trail race next weekend (and that's okay, because I'm not there to race anyway), but I think it will be an exciting marker in my own journey of healing a body battered by stress and lack of exercise. And in fact, here are pictures of a few of the more active things I've done in the past few weeks:

I met a couple of volunteers who invited me along on a climbing trip through one of the local climbing gyms. We hiked up to a crag in Nagarjun Forest Reserve, trying to avoid leeches along the way. As the others were still seemingly freaking out about the leeches, I helped Sandip and Anuj set up the first two top ropes, and then we climbed a couple of different routes several times for the rest of the day, even as the sun threatened to become too much and rain loomed on the horizon. It was a great day, but not having had enough of climbing, I stayed at the gym afterwards to boulder some more until my fingers were raw. Only then did I bike back home to Patan.

Here is another picture, with a couple members of the group, our driver, and Sandip belaying:

In addition to climbing outside (that one time) and at the gym (numerous times so far), I have also tried to bike and run more to get my fitness level a bit higher. Waking up early with the sun is a really cool feeling (and surprisingly not difficult to do here, considering that the city comes to life at 5am).




It's been hard at times to find enough motivation, but at the same time I'm having a good time doing things that I know are going to pay off in the long run. I still have a long way to go, no doubt about it.

Thanks for reading, and till next time!

Comments

  1. So the challenge appears to be to stay neutral about your body, what you put into it, and how/how much you move it, yes? Remember that moving your body because it feels good to do it gives you endorphins, but moving your body because you must gives you guilt/stress. I have struggled with this for a looooong time, and continue to make the journey with body image, food choices and worthiness. Even people who appear to be "healthy" may beat themselves up if they don't eat exactly the right thing or don't work out hard enough. So, that's NOT healthy, right? You are having a terrific inner dialogue, and you have a bunch of experiences to compare now (i.e., over working your body, under working your body, clinically healthy foods, socially nurturing foods, binges, fasts, supportive thoughts, destructive thoughts, etc.). I believe that, at the end of the day, if we make overall healthy nurturing choices (which sometimes includes a day on the couch with Netflix and some chocolate), we can feel good about ourselves. Balance and grace, #3. Balance and grace. Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TJ, thanks so much for the thoughtful reply, I agree with everything you mentioned. Most people probably have body issues of some kind, even if on the outside it doesn't seem like it, so it's important to be thoughtful and compassionate to yourself and to others instead of feeling jealous (or superior). So I guess you're right, and staying neutral about your body is probably a good way to go. If you're too worried about looking "perfect," then you're going to introduce stress and anxiety in your life, and if you're not concerned at all, you're probably not going to do anything, and that's not going to be healthy either. It's difficult, though, and I think we just have to do our best! Thanks again for the thoughtful reply, and for following the blog! Love, Helena.

      Delete
  2. I love your writing, you are truly talented in that! Plus you’re a great climber, runner, biker, swimmer, waterpolo goalie, cook, etc .... so glad this trip is opening up your mind and freeing your body to move. I believe you’ll do great at that race, actually I just know you’ll get do amazing. I’ll be cheering from Home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Btw, the early morning hours are the best to be outside,it’s like magic,pure gold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ♡♡♡
    Oh I know this well... and exercise can be a punishment too, so be careful. A brief and perhaps not-so-thoughtful-as-I-might-like comment: look around you at other bodies. At people, not pictures. See the variety. Then see (to the extent possible) their souls. Can you feel acceptance for others? Compassion? Now look at yourself. Can you feel the same?
    I recently heard a woman share her journey to self-acceptance, and she said something that changed me: feeding and exercising our selves from a place of love and appreciation is so much different from dieting and exercising because we don't like our body and want to change it. Bringing into this a desire to be a compassionate member of the planet means eating and exercising from a place of love, always. And the whole chocolate bar can be loving, appreciating too. Savor it! Savor the warmth and taste and goodness! Yum!
    (Share it if someone is nearby, too).
    Love & miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the comment, it is very thoughtful, don't worry! I think as social beings it's very much to our advantage to be kind both to ourselves and the people around us, because we can't survive on our own. But in today's society, we're taught to be individualistic and selfish, putting not only our needs first, but also learning to ignore the needs of those around us. Pair that with all of the advertisements telling us to look a certain way but at the same time telling us to eat fast food, etc. There's no harmony in the mix of messages, so not only do we get lost, but we start punishing ourselves and those around us for not meeting the expectations. But like you say, I guess a good way of trying to work around that is by looking at the real people around us, to see the diversity of body types, etc. And lastly, you're absolutely right about sharing food! In fact, in Nepal there's no such thing as keeping food to yourself, you share food, and especially water, which none of us can live without! I think we can learn a thing or two from that :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts