And so it begins...

Well, here we are! My third year at Princeton has come to a close, I've said my "see-you-later's" to friends, and my things (too many of them, I'm afraid) are tucked away in the basement of two friends (thanks guys!). And, after a too-brief night on the mattress in our living room, I've started the journey to Nepal.

Too many things! And a bare bedroom... 
Packing is always the hardest part...

As I'm writing this, I am sitting at the terminal for my first flight. It's just after 10 am. However, my morning started at 5am (or 4:45, since my roommate left even earlier than I did for "dead week," the week between the end of the semester and reunions/graduation at Princeton). I made a pot of oatmeal to take with me on the go, and it somehow retained some warmth more than four hours later! I had to navigate a Lyft ride and three trains just to get to the airport, but I made it with more than enough time to spare. Oh well, I guess I can sleep on the plane, right?

The first flight is to Baku, Azerbaijan, and it's the longest flight of the three that I have to take in the next 26 hours or so (!). From there, I fly into Dubai, and then from Dubai to Kathmandu. By then it will be night in Kathmandu, and I'll have to get a taxi to where I'm staying in Patan, near the zoo. It will be the longest I will have spent getting somewhere, but I know that it will be worth it.

I will be in Patan for two months, working for an organization called Srijanalaya. I will write more about my role there in a few days once I've settled, but essentially I will be developing lesson plans for middle-school-aged students. The lesson plans will take a student-driven approach to the governmental requirements by incorporating creative exercises and projects into the units. Please send me ideas or comments if you have them! I'm really excited to start this journey, but it is still the first time I will be more directly involved in teaching, so I welcome any help you might have.

Please don't hesitate to contact me via this blog, Facebook, or email (helena_van_brande@hotmail.com).

I will do my best to update this blog from time to time, so that you can follow me on this journey! Cheers.

















Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts